Replacing the background has been a legit way to improve the car look in a photo. It’s also an affordable way to add context and enhance the display of a car. You can choose relevant backgrounds and market cars more effectively. Relevance can capture buyers’ interest and that’s why most auto companies today replace the background image when launching new models.
Want to replace the background of your vehicle image? Check how it’s actually done below. We also offer a specific car image background replacement service for a quick solution.
How Replacing Background of A Car Image
1. Choosing The Suitable Background
First of all, you need to choose the background for the car and prepare it for the layout. When choosing, consider the context you want to add through the background whether it’s a road, canyon, countryside, metropolitan setting, and so forth. Whatever you choose, always refer to the car photo you want to add. Check whether they have an appropriate angle and suitable position.
2. Cutting Out the Vehicle with Pen Tool
Next, draw a clipping path through edges of the vehicle image using Pen Tool and load it as the selection. Take some time to draw the path more accurately for a cleaner result. Whenever possible you can also cut out the existing shadow of the original photo but draw the path with some tolerances on this part.
3. Placing The Vehicle To The Background
Then, you can drag and move the cutout car image to the tab of the selected background. Take some time to adjust the placement for settling the position of the car toward the context of the background. At this stage, don’t worry if things look not fit as we’d deal with them soon.
4. Applying Some Adjustments
Next, you can use some tools like Free Transform and Distort to adjust the car image to the background. What do you need to adjust? Don’t take complex actions yet, adjusting the perspective of the object(car) is the main thing you should do at this stage. You can either stretch the background to specific directions or warp the perspective of the foreground with available tools. When adjusting, you can zoom in and out to ensure proprietary and the proportion.
5. Adding Shadow
In most cases, preserving the shadow from the original image isn’t possible so you would need to create a new one. There are some ways to perform this task but you can alter a new layer in the grounded area with the polygonal tool and select the covered zone. Then, you can fill this area with black color but ensure to accommodate the shadow fade out by blurring the edges.
6. Adjusting The Perspective
Once you’ve applied the shadow, you may have to apply some adjustments to the current perspective. At this point, you can refer to the background’s horizon line to determine the vanishing point. Use that line and point for the adjustment and you’d get a perfect match soon.
7. Removing Distortions
As you’ve settled the position, you need to remove distortions especially the light reflections. When the reflections appear with a different angle than the light source of the background, your image would look ridiculous. You can use the clone stamp tool to remove these reflections from the car’s body and windows. This would create a neutral state of the car image so you can apply some additional touches later.
8. Retouching and Detailing
Last, you can retouch and detail the image photos to create a realistic and professional look. You can remove dust, correct the color, add some filters, and apply some detailing.
These steps look tedious, but they’re actually the basic way to replace the background. Achieving a professional and consistent look when replacing the background of an automotive image still requires more works and additional techniques. We at PhotoClipOut is a team of expert editors that can replace your car image background and achieve the best look of your car.
Tips on Background Replacement
- Take time: From choosing the background, cutting out the car image to finishing, rushing won’t give you the best result. Always take some time in each step for the best result. One step would affect the works you should do in the next steps. For example, it’s better if you take the background that not only suits but also has similar quality with the car image. This would save you time for adjustments and corrections.
- Preserve the Original Shadow: Whenever possible, it’s great if you can preserve the original shadow. If it’s not possible, you can use it as the reference or departing point along with the horizon line to determine the new shadow. It would be helpful.
- Combine Different Tools: In order to achieve the look you desire, you may have to use multiple tools instead of solely dragging the cutout image to the new background. You can also use masking to capture detail, transforming, color correction, and other tools to perfect the replacement.
- Get A Professional Service: When it comes to the best background replacement and as you’re dealing with large batches of car images, professional service would be a great solution. Our expert editor can replace the background of your car motor in no time. We ensure the quality and consistent standard of service so you can rest assured and focus on your automotive business.